Thursday, September 16, 2010

Gourdgeous Gourds!

Around early July I planted a packet of gourd seeds against a fence in the backyard. To my surprise, they ended up being one of the healthiest things we planted this year! They grew and grew, blossomed in big white and yellow flowers, and then one day I finally noticed little gourds growing. So far, four varieties have matured. I didn't even notice the biggest ones until I really got up close to them one day and was shocked at how big they were! I couldn't resist picking a couple, but I know they'll change color so I left a few to see how different they get...



The smaller one is a different variety and I love the stripes on it. 
I think the pale green of the larger gourds is an unexpectedly spooky Halloween color: sickly green and almost ghostlike! I think it could really work well alongside the traditional black and orange. How cool would a theme of just white and pale green work for a Halloween display?!



I just love the way this looks! Very sophisticated.  How do you plan on decorating for Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving this year?



No comments:

Post a Comment